Hawaii Trip Part 12: Long Last Day

Poipu Beach

The previous evening, I had stopped by the front desk to ask about late checkout.  I was told that while our suite was not available beyond 11am, they could move us to a regular room until 4pm.  This was great as our flight home was at 8:15pm so we could leave at 4pm, grab early dinner and then head to the airport.

We called the front desk after we had breakfast (yes, at 6:30am) and told them we were headed over to Poipu Beach for a couple of hours so they could go ahead and move our things.  They told us to check back when we returned, and we could get our new wristband for the day room.

We drove the short distance to Poipu Beach and had no issues parking at 8am.  The beach had a protective reef a few hundred yards from shore, so it was better for swimming.  The reef formed a small island with tidepools, so I swam over, explored the tide pools and watched the big waves crash on the reef.

Rainbow over the tide pools

After an hour or so, my wife wasn’t having any luck with shells, although we did see another sleeping monk seal right on the beach. 

Another sleepy seal

We headed back to the Hyatt, and because it was still pretty early, we were able to grab shaded loungers right by the water slide pool. I went to get our new keys and find our day room.  It was an accessible room with a view of…the parking lot.  Even that room had all the same new bathroom fixtures as our suite (except there was a shower/tub combo). I’ll share the pictures of our suite tomorrow in my review of the Grand Hyatt.

We had lunch at the pool restaurant and hung out until 2pm.  We took our time finalizing all our packing, showering, and getting ready for the long trip home.  We headed out of the Grand Hyatt right at 4pm, saying farewell, but not for forever as we plan to come back some day.

We drove over to Lava Lava Beach Club, about 10 minutes north of the airport.  We had enjoyed their Waikoloa location, so we knew what to expect food and drink-wise. 

View from our table at Lava Lava

We had a nice early dinner and enjoyed our last views of the ocean before driving to the airport around 6pm for our flight back to the mainland. Next up: A detailed review of the Grand Hyatt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s